Recently we were asked by a customer to share some tips on plywood care for our Christmas Tree. We leave most of our timber products unfinished for a gorgeous raw and natural aesthetic. Raw timber develops character over time and ages beautifully if treated with the right care. However you do need to be mindful when it comes to care and maintenance.
Please take note of the our tips in order to keep your timber looking fab and in it’s best condition.
Tips for care & maintenance:
- Avoid leaving the timber in direct sunlight for long periods, as exposure will slowly tan the timber over time. Our products are suited to UV filtered light. In order to maintain the plywood in it’s natural original tone, you may want to consider applying a UV timber finish.
- Be mindful of moisture and exposure to the elements. When not in use, store the product in a dry, cool place.
- Natural oils will stain the plywood, e.g. Blu-Tack, oily/moisturised hands, foods, flowers etc.
- Be cautious with the raw timber around liquids. Do not leave spills to sit on the surface. Any spilt liquids will leave a watermark. Use a dry cloth to absorb spills immediately.
- Our products require minimal cleaning – the only maintenance required is dusting. Use a dry dusting cloth to remove dust and dirt.
- Avoid contact with heat and take care when placing abrasive objects on the timber.
- If any scratches or nicks appear, gently sand the area with a fine grit sandpaper.
- You can lightly sand the surfaces with a fine grit sandpaper to refresh the timber’s appearance. This should be done minimally, e.g. once every couple of years.
Our recommended finishes:
If you would like a more finished look you may add a finish to the timber. We recommend the following products which are available from your local hardware store:
- Intergram Exterior UltraClear UV Timber Finish in Satin
Please note that when you are applying a wax or satin, it will enhance the wood a shade darker.
We do not recommend applying a lacquer finish to our products as it will marginally increase the thickness of the wood and therefore may affect how certain elements of the product interact.
- Whitewashing (diluted white paint), for a faded washed out look
- Coloured timber stains (water based only)
- Linseed Oil, for an enriched warmer look
*Always conduct a test patch on a separate piece of timber to ensure you are happy with the desired effect.
If finishing a product with multiple parts (e.g. the One Two Tree or My Treasure Board), each part will need to be treated individually. Allow adequate time for drying/curing before reassembling the product.
We recommend and encourage the use of water-based finishes, products that are non-toxic and are free of harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Always check the materials and safety data sheet (MSDS) for detailed information on any hazardous chemicals present.